Follow Us:

NAFTA and TN Visas

Investor visas are business visas based upon treaties of friendship, commerce and navigation or other arrangements between the U.S. and a country of which the investor is a national.

NAFTA and TN Visas

NAFTA, the North American Free Trade Agreement (Français: Accord de libre-échange nord-américain, ALÉNA) is an agreement signed by Canada, Mexico, and the United States, creating a trilateral rules-based trade bloc in North America. The goal of NAFTA was to eliminate barriers to trade and investment between the U.S., Canada and Mexico.

The TN Visa

As a result of NAFTA, Canadian citizens have certain advantages under U.S. immigration law. Canadians do not need to go to a U.S. consulate to enter the United States as a tourist. The B-2 visa (visit for "pleasure") is issued at the border and grants admission for a maximum of 6 months. If a Canadian citizen wishes to engage in employment or other activity not allowed by the tourist visa, they must apply in the same fashion as other nationalities. Canadian professionals, however, have the opportunity to pursue the TN visa. The TN visa is a special work visa available to Canadians.

For more information about TN Visa requirements PRESS HERE.

What a NAFTA Visa means to Canadians

The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) was signed December 8, 1993. One of the chapters of the agreement is related to immigration issues. Mexicans and Canadians benefit from an expanded admission class when coming to the U.S. to engage in professional activities defined by the NAFTA. The TN visa allows a Canadian or Mexican professional to work in the U.S. The list of eligible TN professions is listed on the Professions tab. Call or email with any questions you have. We are always happy to let you speak directly with a NAFTA immigration expert.

For more information about TN Visa requirements PRESS HERE.

NAFTA Professions

A Canadian individual must be coming to the U.S. to work temporarily in one of the professions listed in the appendix to the North American Free Trade Agreement. Here are the listed professions:

Accountant (baccalaureate, CPA, CA, CGA, or CMA)
Animal breeder
Animal Scientist
Architect (baccalaureate or state/provincial license. Also see Landscape Architect, below)
Computer systems analyst who must have: baccalaureate or post secondary diploma *and three years' experience
Dairy Scientist
Dentist (DDS, DMD, or state/provincial license)
Dietician (baccalaureate or state/provincial license)
Disaster Relief Insurance Claims Adjuster who must have: baccalaureate or 3 years' experience in claims adjustment, and completed training in appropriate areas of insurance adjustment pertaining to disaster relief claims.
Engineer (baccalaureate or state/provincial license)
Forester (baccalaureate or state/provincial license) (Also see Silviculturist, below)
Graphic Designer who must have: baccalaureate or post secondary diploma and three years' experience.
Hotel Manager who must have: baccalaureate in hotel/restaurant management, or post secondary diploma in hotel/restaurant management, and three years' experience in hotel restaurant management.
Industrial Designer who must have: baccalaureate or post secondary diploma and three years experience.
Interior Designer who must have: baccalaureate or post secondary diploma and three years' experience.
Land Surveyor (baccalaureate or state/provincial/federal license)
Landscape Architect
Lawyer (member of state/provincial bar, or LLB, JD, LLL, or BCL)
Librarian (MLS, or BLS. BLS must be one for which another baccalaureate degree was a pre-requisite)
Management Consultant who must have: baccalaureate or five years' experience in consulting or related field.
Medical Technologist/Medical Lab Technologist (Canada) who must have: baccalaureate or post secondary diploma *and three years' experience. (U.S. job must be in a laboratory to perform chemical, biological, hematological, immunologic, microscopic, or bacteriological tests, and analyses for diagnosis, treatment or prevention of disease)
Nurse, Registered (must have state/provincial license)
Occupational Therapist (baccalaureate or state/provincial license)
Pharmacist (baccalaureate or state/provincial license)
Physician (teaching and/or research only, MD or state/provincial license)
Physio/Physical Therapist (baccalaureate or state/provincial license)
Plant Breeder
Poultry Scientist
Psychologist (must have state/provincial license. Cannot qualify with just baccalaureate degree)
Range Manager/Range Conservationist
Recreational Therapist
Research Assistant (baccalaureate and U.S. job in a post-secondary educational institute)
Social Worker
Soil Scientist
Silviculturist/Forestry Specialist (also see Forester, above)
Teacher (baccalaureate degree: must be coming to work for a college, seminary or university only); no secondary or elementary school teaching.
Technician or Technologist, Scientific (E.g.: Electronic engineering technician.) who must: work in direct support of professionals in one of these disciplines: biology, chemistry, engineering, forestry, geology, geophysics, meteorology, physics OR possess theoretical knowledge of discipline, and solve practical problems in discipline, or apply principles of the discipline to basic or applied research
Urban Planner
Veterinarian (DVM, DMV, or state/provincial license)
Vocational Counsellor
Writer, Technical Publications (Technical Publications Writer) who must have: baccalaureate or post secondary diploma and three years' experience.

For more information about TN Visa requirements PRESS HERE.

Office Address:
  • Address:
    744 West Hastings Street
    Suite 718
    Vancouver BC V6C 1A5
Contact Information
  • Phone: (604) 330-5550
  • Fax: (604) 357-1695
  • Hours: M - F : 9 am - 5 pm
  • Contact Us
Our Main Website

This is a topic-specific website intended for our Canadian clients. For more detailed information about our firm go to our main website, usborderlaw.com.

© 2017 Millar & Hayes. This web site is for advertising and general information purposes only.